Ticker

Jacksonville - this week.

3.30.2010

"WE"

Has anyone ever said to you; "Can we do something about that?" The question can be interpreted in many ways such as; 'Company X offers this service, can we do something about that?' Basically, can we offer the same service as company X, or do we have the tools to implement such a service.

The interpretation that I always hear is; "Chase (my dog) is restless, can we do something about that?" Or, "I need a patch of sod cleared for my vegetable box, can we do something about that?" Those two questions are, of course, uttered by my wife - The latter one is usually on a Saturday morning while she is reviewing her list.

Wife: "I need a patch of sod cleared for my vegetable box, can WE do something about that?"
T-Rav: "What? Do you want me to get you the shovel?"
Wife: "No, I was hoping that you would dig it up for me while I'm doing other stuff."
T-Rav: "So what you're saying is that you want me to clear the sod, dig the hole, built the box, fill it with dirt and then call you?"
Wife: "Yes, that would be perfect!"
T-Rav: "Then why did you say WE?"
Wife: "Well if you need help I can help."
T-Rav: "Right!"

The prior one (about Chase) at 5AM this morning.
Wife: Grumble, moan, barely awake(as Chase is whining and pacing) "Can WE do something about that?" (assuming that I am already awake)
T-Rav: "By WE do you mean ME?'
Wife: Uttered something incomprehensible in annoyance.
T-Rav: "I guess so!"
Funny thing is she won't even remember it.

WE is only included because the person asking the question doesn't want to do the work, but at the same time doesn't want to sound like they are bossy.

I'm probably going to have to pay for this post once the wife reads it. Payment will likely be 'US' digging out stumps in a few weeks.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

AWESOME post. I love it. Made me laugh. Thing is, it's funny coz it's true.

Luc said...

Truer words have never been written. Thank you.